Friday, March 09, 2012

Animating textures on your rig

Been asked a few times lately about using animated textures on a rig and how to control those textures. Like with most things in Maya there are a bunch of ways to do this . . . you could apply different textures to duplicates of geometry and literally swap geo for any given frame of texture you want, but that's a) a pain to set up and b) kinda like shooting a fly with bazooka. Heavier in your scene and more a pain to deal with. Instead, in this vid I'll go over a couple of different ways to use the ".frameExtension" of an image sequence to control what shows up as our texture. I also briefly discuss a more complicated way of doing the same thing using nuke and UV maps, which I covered in another tutorial.
BTW, I talk about using this on a face in the video, but you could  obviously use this on any kind of shader connection for any part of an object. Faces are just the most obvious. . .

Maya/Rigging: Using Animated Textures from zeth willie on Vimeo.

6 comments:

  1. Great stuff!

    However I setup my image sequence for the eye blink for example, and it always crashes Maya

    Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well. . . not really. :)
    The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that it might be the type of image you're using or the naming convention (file.#.ext, for example). Or if you're trying to link to the files over a network or something. Though obviously though shouldn't crash maya. . .
    Since I haven't had this happen, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry!
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running 2015...the first time I tried this tutorial it worked awesome....after that I could never repeat the results (even after two days on it) As soon as I click image sequence it goes bad.
    I've literally gone step by step to ensure I didn't miss a thing and no change. Totally don't get "why"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Tutorial!!

    Quick question, I followed you tutorial and I want to add more to my rig in terms of "flipping the texture".
    for instance if I have a smile texture, is it possible to flip it into a frown and have that connected to a control?
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and add "scaling" too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. I have the same issue as above. when I click image sequence, it turns purple and changes to the frame that I am on.
    I then right click and delete the expression, key the driver and driven again but then it still does the same thing.
    Totally stuck now. Any ideas?
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete